Dr. K. Sasikala
Designation: Professor and Head
Fields of Specialization:
- Human Molecular Cytogenetics
- Genomic Research
- Cancer Genetics
- Radiation Biology
- Reproductive Genetics
Twenty PhD degrees have been awarded under the guidance
of Dr.K.Sasikala, in Human Cytogenetics, Genetic basis of reproductive
anomalies, Cancer Genetics, Radiation Genetics and gene polymorphisms.
Her research has led to over 160 peer-reviewed publications including
national and international articles. Dr.K.Sasikala is a member of various
societies, carries numerous expert tasks as an international & national
reviewer and evaluator for journals, universities, granting agencies and
Dr.K.Sasikala has receives many honors and awards including Distinguished
leadership award by American Bibliographic institute U. K., Honorary member
of the International Bibliographical center Advisory Council, Cambridge,
U.K., Invited member of the Professional women’s Advisory Board
of American Bibliographical Institute, U.K., Rastriya Ratan Award by International
study centre, Delhi., Bharat Excellence Award by FFI, India.
- KLE Medical University, Bangalore, India
- National Institute of Radiological Sciences, Chiba, Japan
- Medical University of Vienna, Ebene, Vienna, Austria
A great support and collaborative research have been
undertaken in the leading specialized hospitals of Tamil Nadu, which refer
their patients for cytogenetic and Molecular studies. Cytogenetic and
molecular genetic studies on solid cancer patients have been undertaken
in collaboration with PSG, GKNM and Aswin Hospitals, Coimbatore.
- Biochemical and cytogenetic studies on mentally retarded children
in and around Coimbatore - (completed) - UGC.
- Cytogenetic and molecular genetic analysis of cancers relating to
women population in Coimbatore – (completed) – UGC.
- Cytogenetic And Molecular Analysis of Hepatocellular Carcinoma (HCC)
Patients In Tamilnadu Region – (On going) – UGC.
- Identification of genetic alterations in Solid Tumor Patients in
South Indian Population – (On going) – DST.
- Conducted frequently National seminars and Refresher courses in genetic
health and diseases.
- Genetic counseling for patients
- Regularly conducting summer training program on Cytogenetic techniques
for the college students
- Guiding other university/College PG/ M.Phil candidates for their project
work in Human Genetics
- Regularly doing Cytogenetic analysis for the patients referred by
the doctors of different hospitals.
Dr. K. Sasikala M.Sc., Ph.D., F.A.Z., Z.S.I., M.A.F.R.C.,
Professor and Head,
Human Genetics Laboratory
Department of Zoology
School of Life Science
Coimbatore - 641 046
Residence: 0422 2349068 / 5573129
Mobile: +91- 989-425-4354.