The Department of Applied Mathematics was started as a Department of the Bharathiar University during June 2008. The Department aims to train people who are Oriented towards research and teaching in advanced areas of Applied Mathematics and its strategy is to promote development out of subjects of current excellence into exciting new areas of Applied Mathematics, whenever the opportunity arises.
Research activities in the Department have covered the various Fields
in Applied Mathematics. The Department aims to carry out research
of world-class excellence in important areas of Applied Mathematics
and for advancing research collaborations both Nationally and Internationally.
The Department is strong in many areas, particularly Fluid Dynamics,
Computational Fluid Dynamics, Magnetohydrodynamics, Ferro fluids
and Numerical Techniques. The Department has five faculty members
including the Head, Dr. (Mrs.).S.P.Anjali Devi,one Asst.Professor
and Three guest lecturers.
The faculty of the Department collaborates with strong groups nationally and internationally and participates in various projects and programmes.They have research collaborations and communications with the faculty of the distinguished institutions such as DRDL Hyderabad, IIT Kharagpur, IIT Madras, IISC Bangalore, Technical University, Berlin, Germany, University of Baltimore, USA, University of Maryland, USA, University of West Indies, Doshisha University Japan and Cambridge University, UK, Max Planck Institute, Bremen, Germany and University of Regina, Canada.
Highlights of the courses
The Department is offering M.Sc Mathematics with Computer Applications course with a motivation to bring out recent developments in Applied Mathematics and as well as to provide good knowledge in the Computer oriented subjects. The course also provides opportunity for the students to know about the direct applications of Mathematics in several fields of practical interest and to do further research in Applied Mathematics and write codes and computer algorithms for dealing with several physical systems.
The Department offers M.Phil. and Ph.D research programs in Applied Mathematics of recent interest.
Goals of the Department
* To train people who are oriented towards research in advanced areas of Applied Mathematics.
* Take up more sponsored research projects.
* Take up consultancy work.
* Conducting at least one national/ international level seminar/ conference / workshop per year.
* Set up computer lab with all recent Applied /Computational software.
* To have more Industrial Collaborations.
Mission of the Department
* To provide conducive atmosphere for the student learning.
* To provide quality education in Applied Mathematics.
* To encourage high level research among faculty and students.
* To foster leadership qualities among the students by imparting various
types of training.
* To recommend and upgrade the curriculum from time to time to suit the changing trends in industry and society.
* To arrange Industrial Visits.
Department of Applied Mathematics
Coimbatore - 641 046
Tamil Nadu. India.